أخر أجل٢٦ يناير ٢٠٢٣
Protocol Officer, NO-C – Baghdad
Organizational Unit: Office of Chief of Staff
VA date: 12/01/2023
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Chief of Staff, the incumbent will be responsible for the following functions:
• Accompanies the Special Representative of the Secretary General and the Head of the Mission on all official internal travel for liaison and protocol matters.
• Arranges and coordinate all meetings between the Mission officials and local authorities.
• Provides protocol assistance for activities of the SRSG, and other Senior representatives of the mission as required, in line with their day-to-day programs.
• Organizes mission’s external trips as regards to appointment, accommodation, immigration formalities and visa.
• Facilitates liaison between the Mission and the Host Government counterparts as well as the diplomatic community.
• Maintains communication with state protocol.
• Acts as a mission focal point for all communications and coordination with the Coordination office of the Host Government.
• Supervises, manages and coaches junior Protocol staff within Baghdad.
• Assists and advices the Military Personnel, UNPOL, UNVs, and International Contractors in providing entry and extension of visas and assists international staff’s eligible family members to obtain entry and extension visas.
• Familiarizes staff members with local laws when interacting with local authorities
• Supports the mission in educating initiatives regarding local customs, values, and traffic rules.
• Coordinates obtaining flight clearance through diplomatic mission or ministries.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Education: Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Law, Political Sciences, Public Relations, or other related fields is required. A first level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Experience: A minimum of five (5) years progressively responsible experience in a similar or related position, including relevant protocol external relations or public information experience in private industry and/or previous UN/International NGO is required.
Languages: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English and Arabic is required.
UN CORE VALUES AND COMPETENCIES
Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Planning and Organizing: Proven ability to plan and organize own work and that of others. Ability to juggle competing demands and work under pressure of frequent and tight deadlines. Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; Adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors’ language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
This job opening is advertised on the United Nation Secretariat’s talent management platform, Inspira. To submit an application, click “Apply Now” after following this link:
Only applications submitted through Inspira will be considered for this job opening. Applicants must have an Inspira account to create and submit applications. Staff members are assigned an employee account upon appointment with their index number as the User ID. Other applicants may create an account.
For guidance on building and submitting applications, refer to the “Applicant Guide” available on the “Manuals” page. To access this page, click “Manuals” on the top of the Inspira homepage after logging into your account.
The necessity for ensuring the highest standards of efficiency, competence and integrity remain the paramount considerations in the employment of personnel. To ensure fairness and transparency, selection will be made on a competitive basis through a selection panel.