Since the inception of IOM in 1951, Movement Operations have been and continue to be a fundamental pillar of the Organization’s work. The organized movement of persons in need of international migration assistance is a primary mandate of the Organization and a cornerstone of IOM’s operations. This mandate has resulted in the international transport of more than 15 million migrants and refugees worldwide.
Movement Operations departments in various IOM missions, coordinated under the division of Resettlement and Movement Management (RMM) in the Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE) at IOM’s Geneva Headquarters, are responsible for all aspects of travel for migrants and refugees under IOM’s auspices, in accordance with the various framework agreements with resettlement and receiving Governments and partners across the spectrum of the Organization's programmes.
Under the general guidance of the Chief of Mission (COM), under overall supervision of Head of Migration Management Unit and the direct supervision of the Movement Operations Manager, the Senior Operations Assistant (Field Support) is responsible for supervising movement operations activities in the field, with the following duties and responsibilities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Coordinate a team or teams of up to a total of eight staff members undertaking field activities in an assigned area or areas, such as at an airport, transit center, third-party facility, camp-based operation or sub-office, or in relation to transportation, including supporting staff development processes such as hiring, providing training, assigning duties and giving feedback to staff members on their performance on a regular basis to ensure high quality work and the accurate completion of field support activities.
2. Coordinate the efficient and effective management of airport services, including care and verification of travel documentation; assistance with airport formalities; escorts for arriving and departing individuals; ensuring individuals with special needs or equipment receive appropriate support; and sending notifications using relevant systems. Schedule daily work for Field Support staff, ensuring adequate coverage for all flight arrivals and departures based on advanced booking notifications (ABNs) and onward movements, and ensure staff have adequate power and IT availability to complete their work. Handle all urgent issues as they occur and process relevant financial paperwork in coordination with IOM management.
3. Coordinate staff as they assist individuals at transit centers or third-party facilities throughout their stay. Coordinate with the Movement Operations Manager to maintain an organized flow of individuals and their luggage through arrival and departure procedures at the facility; track relevant information regarding flight data and ensure team members are updated on departure times, delays and cancellations; work with staff to ensure luggage and medical checks are organized in an efficient manner; under the supervision of the Movement Operations Manager, create the weekly shift schedule and assign tasks, ensuring coverage is adequate to maintain a safe, secure and clean environment; report regularly to management on long-stayers and other relevant issues, employing creative problem solving as needed to handle problems. In coordination with the Movement Operations Manager, handle financial paperwork.
4. Coordinate timely and adequate services for meals, snacks and water for individual staying at Transit Centers, third-party facilities or during transit in airports and other locations, ensuring staff members work closely with the service provider to ensure meals are culturally appropriate and to reduce the level of waste while keeping the quality of the food at the highest standard.
5. Coordinate pre-departure formalities including but not limited to counselling, travel loans, luggage, prohibited items, bag tags and clothing/shoes. Schedule and supervise daily discussions with individuals staying in facilities on cleanliness, litter and hygiene. Ensure all posters and informational messages are up-to-date and placed in visible locations.
6. Provide oversight at transit centers and third-party facilities for extended periods of up to 12 hours and during overnight periods and weekends, ensuring the needs of individuals are met throughout their stay. Communicate promptly with third-party facility representatives and/or management if issues arise.
7. Supervise the coordination of transportation from consolidation points, transit centers and third-party facilities, including liaising with service providers, supervising staff as they ensure the identity verification, readiness and organization of individuals being transported, and preparing and supervising relevant briefings. Ensure baggage sorting, tagging and handling is done appropriately and that staff members arrange for individuals to be escorted on transportation as needed. Ensure persons with special needs are provided with appropriate services and report any issues to supervisors immediately.
8. Coordinate and/or provide pre-screening, pre-departure orientation and selection mission support, medical processing support, exit permit support and/or interpretation services for individuals at the airport, in transit centers, camps, consolidation points, IOM facilities and third-party facilities or during transport by air, ground or water.
9. Under the close supervision of the Movement Operations Manager liaise as needed with other Teams and Units in IOM Iraq and with external partners such as airport and government authorities, relevant embassies, and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). Provide regular feedback on work being accomplished to the the Movement Operations Manager and keep supervisors immediately informed of any issues that arise.
10. As needed, and under the close supervision of the Movement Operations Manager, assist with financial activities related to movement operations, such as petty cash payments and reports.
11. Train Field Support Team members as needed to efficiently and effectively manage their work, conduct quality assurance, and to monitor and guide other Field Support staff members and activities.
12. Alert the Movement Operations Manager or management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by IOM staff members or partners.
13. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.