Within delegated authority, the Field Language Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
• Provides clear and concise verbal communication/interpretation, interfacing between mission officials and local population in support of operations and wider mission activities.
• Translation of high-level documents and communications from local language(s) to designated UN working language(s) and vise versa covering a broad range of subjects dealt with by the United Nations.
• Liaises with counterparts in other sections relating to scheduling and administrative arrangements.
• Keeps abreast of news in the Media and briefs supervisors and colleagues of relevant contents.
• Drafts correspondence for the Supervisor.
• Assists officers with the preparation of drafts, briefing notes and background information.
• Files, retrieves office documents.
• Performs other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Education: High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Experience:A minimum of five (05) years of work experience in providing translation/interpretation services.
Language:English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position fluency in English and Arabic is required. Knowledge of other United Nations language is desirable.
UN CORE VALUES AND COMPETENCIES
Professionalism:Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
Communications:Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork:Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
This job opening is advertised on the United Nation Secretariat’s talent management platform, Inspira. To submit an application, click “Apply Now” after following this link:
Only applications submitted through Inspira will be considered for this job opening. Applicants must have an Inspira account to create and submit applications. Staff members are assigned an employee account upon appointment with their index number as the User ID. Other applicants may create an account.
For guidance on building and submitting applications, refer to the “Applicant Guide” available on the “Manuals” page. To access this page, click “Manuals” on the top of the Inspira homepage after logging into your account.