Under the general guidance of the Chief of Mission COM/DCoM, and the overall supervision of the head of the Protection division, and the direct supervision of the Protection Coordinator, the incumbent will be responsible for overseeing direct implementation of protection activities in Erbil and Sulaymaniyah. The Senior Protection Assistant will provide support in protection activities relating to Return & Reintegration, Counter-Trafficking, and Gender-Based Violence.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Support the technical supervision and day-to-day management and monitoring of migrant protection activities, including assistance to vulnerable migrants, counter-trafficking case management, and Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration (AVRR) activities through a protection-centered case management approach in Erbil and Sulaymaniyah. Core activities include, but are not limited to case management including counselling, referrals to protection services and support through legal proceedings, provision of information, and return and reintegration support.
2. Supervise relevant Teams in respective locations of coordination and ensure timely roll out of activities, their monitoring and reporting.
3. Identify protection risks and needs of migrants in vulnerable situations and coordinate a timely and safe referral to specialized protection services in case of need; support in pre-departure counselling and assistance as well as return travels in coordination with receiving missions.
4. Participate in relevant coordination forums and discussions at country level, including the KRI Gender-Based Violence Sub-Working Group and developing strong, collaborative relationships with other KRI GBV stakeholders.
5. Assess the needs of victims of trafficking and migrants with GBV concerns and support them in planning for safety, following internal operating procedures and protocols, designed according to the IOM Iraq SoPs and global IOM GBViC and TIP frameworks.
6. Ensure the team’s timely update and 100% compliance of data collection tools (MIMOSA) to track the status of implementation of each case and oversee the timely entry of data of the Teams supervised.
7. Identify staff needs related to technical capacity. Coordinate capacity building activities internally or through partners by leading on the delivering of trainings to staff and partners, and on-the-job capacity building for returnees.
8. Ensure protection activities are implemented in coordination with other IOM sectors and according to IOM protection standards and principles.
9. Support the Protection Officer in the updating of Migrant Protection and Counter-Trafficking tools and guidelines as needed to ensure it is in line with the Iraqi context.
10. Ensure gender and protection are mainstreamed during the implementation of protection activities.
11. Undertake duty travel as required.
12. Perform any of duties as may be assigned.